Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is the main magical institute of United Kingdom. It is located in a forested area in the highlands of Scotland next to a large lake. If muggles approach the school, it will appear only as a run-down and abandoned building with a sign reading 'Do Not Enter'. It is also unplottable on a map. On the Hogwarts crest is their motto, "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus," which means "Never tickle a sleeping dragon." The current headmaster is Professor Albus Dumbledore.
In their first and second years, students are required to take a set course list including:
- Defense Against the Dark Arts
- History of Magic
- Flying (for first years)
Starting in third year, students may choose any two additional courses each year:
- Ancient Runes
- Care of Magical Creatures
- Muggle Studies
Exams are held in June of each year for the first four years. In June of their fifth year, students take the Ordinary Wizarding Levels (O.W.L.s). The results of these exams determine what classes the student may take in their sixth and seventh years. The classes during these years are at advances levels and require a certain grade on the O.W.L.s for students to continue with these subjects. Even if a student achieves the required grade for an advanced class, they may choose not to take the class. The passing grades for the O.W.L.s are Outstanding (O), Exceeds Expectations (E), and Acceptable (A). The failing grades are Poor (P), Dreadful (D), and Troll (T).
After their seventh year, students take Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests (N.E.W.T.s).
During the school year students can gain or lose points for their house. At the end-of-term feast, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup for the following year. Only professors and prefects are allowed to award and dock points. If merely taking away house points is not sufficient, professors can give students a detention of their choosing.
- Quidditch Club - Each house has it's own team, allowing for matches between the houses. Matches are held once a month or so, except during busy times, and resulting in a final House Cup tournament at the end of the year.
- Gobstones Club - Meeting regularly after lunch, come hang out in the great hall and play this fun magical board game! A great way to get to know your fellow students.
- Prefect Club - Top achievers in years five through seven are selected to serve in the Prefect Club, helping to maintain order in the school and patrol the halls.
- Cryptology Club - Come have a cup of tea with your favorite professor and learn the techniques and history of this clever code.
In addition to school clubs, periodic weekend visits to the local village of Hogsmeade are scheduled to allow students to socialize off campus, enjoy the local restaurants, and go shopping.
Students who have received an acceptance letter begin at Hogwarts School at the age of 11. They continue until they have completed seven academic years. During their stay, each is sorted into one of four houses - Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, or Slytherin. No applications are accepted for Hogwarts, as students' names are recorded at birth.
Students at Hogwarts are required to follow a strict dress code when attending classes and other school-related events. This includes:
- White Buttoned Dress Shirt.
- A gray vest with a color matching their house colors (worn during the colder months).
- A tie also bearing their house colors
- A pleated black skirt for girls and black dress trousers for boys.
- A black robe bearing their house's emblem.
- Black dress robes (for formal occasions).
- A scarf bearing their house colors is also given during the colder months.
Also check http://vault713.com/bb/page.php?p=hogwarts